dimecres, d’octubre 22, 2008

Madness or sensibleness

"That's foolish. In the first place, I disagree about the outer life. Well, we've often argued that. The real point ist that there is the widest gulf between my love-making and yours. Yurs was romance; mine will be prose. I'm not running it down- a very good kind of prose, but well considered, well thought out. For instance, I know all Mr Wilcox's faults. He's afraid of emotion. He cares too much about success, too little about the the past. His sympathy lacks poetry, and so isn't sympathy really. I'd even say" ─ [Margaret] looked at the shinning lagoons─ that, spiritually, he is not as honest as I am. Doesn't satisfy you?"
"No, it doesn't," said Helen, "It makes me feel worse and worse. You must be mad."

(E.M.Forster, Howards End, p.177)